VA Portland Health Care System
Division of Hospital & Specialty Medicine (DHSM)
DHSM is comprised of 12 subspecialty sections including Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, General Medicine, Geriatrics, Hematology/Oncology, Hospital Medicine, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Palliative Care, Pulmonary, and Rheumatology. The Outpatient Medical Unit (OMU), Resident Teaching Clinics, and all specialty care clinics fall under the DHSM umbrella with over 400 employees comprised of 200 physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and nurses, as well as technical and administrative support, all of whom are dedicated to providing excellent medical care to our nation's Veterans.
DHSM is dedicated to providing quality state-of- art healthcare for all eligible veterans, in both the inpatient and the outpatient setting. Additionally, DHSM takes great pride in being a nationally-recognized leader in both medical education and research.
VA Portland VA Health Care System serves as a national referral site that provides liver and kidney transplantation services. Our liver transplant program has been transplanting since 1988 and we have been offering kidney transplants since April of 2002. By involving the patient in the decision-making process, we make the patient an equal partner in successful outcomes. Our patient and graft survival statistics consistently exceed expected national rates.
Our specialty care line includes the following services —
- Surgical specialties: general & vascular surgery, urology, gynecology, liver & renal transplant, orthopedics, otolaryngology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery and cardiothoracic surgery. Portland VA is one of the top five VA surgical programs by volume.
- Medical specialties: endocrinology, cardiology, rheumatology, gastroenterology/ hepatology, hematology/oncology, nephrology, geriatrics, pulmonary, infectious disease and hospital medicine.
- VA Portland's Cardiac Cath lab serves as the single VISN 20 resource for electrophysiology procedures.
- Neurology Services offers general neurology as well National Centers of Excellence in Epilepsy, Parkinson’s and Multiple Sclerosis.
- Dental Service offers a full spectrum of dental subspecialty care.
- National referral center for renal and liver transplant
- Dermatology – medical and surgical
- Radiation oncology
1st, 2nd and 8th floors
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.