VA Portland Health Care System
About the Program
The Pharmacy Service Mission is to provide Veteran-centric pharmaceutical care that improves outcomes through a commitment to innovation, education, and collaboration. Medication Safety and quality are top priorities for VAPORHCS as evidenced by having an active Medication Safety Program in place since 1987. The VA Portland Health Care System pharmacy processes more than 5,000 prescriptions daily. Many of these prescriptions are filled by the Central Mailout Pharmacy (CMOP). Prescriptions may be refilled by phone or the Internet.
Important Update - Effective April 13, 2020, until further notice
Only curb-side pick-up will be available at Portland VA Medical Center & Vancouver VA Campus.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and for the safety of our Veterans and hospital staff, VAPORHCS is minimizing all unnecessary foot traffic in-patient care areas including the Outpatient Pharmacies in Portland and Vancouver.
The Outpatient Pharmacies in Portland and Vancouver will NO longer refill prescriptions for pick up at the window.
For urgent refills like antibiotics or pain medications, the VA Portland Medical Center is now opening an outside curbside pick-up station.
Pharmacy Curbside Pick Up Hours at PVAMC and Vancouer Campus: Monday to Friday : 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
PVAMC Curbside Service Process:
1. Drive up to Bldg. 103 "Primary Care" entrance and park in the marked "Pharmacy Pick Up" spots on US Veterans Hospital Rd.
Vancouver Campus Curbside Service Process:
1. Drive up to the Bldg 11 main entrance area and park in the marked "Pharmacy Pick Up" near the flag pole.
VAPORHCS is asking that instead of visiting the Pharmacy in person, that all medication refill requests made by one of the methods below.
Refill by Phone Refill System
Refill by the Internet
Using MyHealtheVet will also allow you to check the status of your refills, track your package, and access drug information about your medication.
The Rx Refill mobile application (app) allows Veterans to request refills of their refillable VA-issued prescriptions, track VA prescription deliveries, view VA prescription history from the convenience of their mobile device. The app provides a native mobile interface for the Rx Refill feature found within My HealtheVet. Refill requests submitted through the app or the My HealtheVet website that are dispensed by a VA Mail Order Pharmacy are easily tracked using the app’s “Track Delivery” feature. NOTE: VA is undergoing an Electronic Health Record Modernization (EHRM), which may impact whether My HealtheVet and Rx Refill applications are operational at your facility. To Learn more about EHRM, visit at www.ehrm.va.gov.
Refill by Mail
A paper refill slip is sent with each of our prescriptions. You can submit it by mailing the refill slip to the VA Pharmacy.
General Refill Ordering Information
Refills can be requested early and they can be mailed to you when due.
Refill are NOT automatically sent. You must request a refill before it will be mailed to you
Tips for veterans are to sign up to track their packages.
Vancouver Outpatient Pharmacy Hours
Temporarily closed until further notice (see details above)
Monday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday & Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Inpatient Pharmacy (inpatient hospitalized Veterans only)
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Automated Refill Line
An automated refill line is available for all Portland VAMC patients. Please call one of the following numbers —
- 503-273-5201 (Portland area)
- 1-888-400-8387(from outside the Portland area)
- After you have dialed the number, wait for the automated attendant to answer.
- Enter your entire social security number, then press the # key. Wait for an answer.
- Press 2, then wait for an answer.
- Press 1, then wait for an answer.
- Enter the prescription number, then press the # key. Wait for an answer.
- To refill additional prescriptions, press 1 and repeat the process.
If you are using the automated refill line, all refills should be ordered at least ten days prior to when the refill is due to insure prompt processing and delivery time.
Prescriptions may also be filled online using VA's My HealtheVet program. You will need a user id and password to log in. If you do not have one, you can easily get one by creating your personal profile.
Refills at Portland VAMC Pharmacy
All Veterans are encouraged to refill their prescriptions by phone or Internet. Because of our patient workload, prescriptions cannot be refilled at the main Portland VAMC pharmacy window.
Refills at VA-contracted urgent care facilities (MISSION Act related)
For urgent prescriptions written by a VA-contracted urgent care provider, Veterans can fill a 14-day supply of medication at a…
- … contracted pharmacy within the VA network,
- at the VA, or
- at a non-contracted pharmacy.
If a non-contracted facility is used, Veterans must pay for the prescription and then file for reimbursement with the local VA Community Care department. To do this, mail a copy of the prescription & receipt to: Pharmacy Reimbursement, 1601 E Fourth Plain Blvd., V3-PCD, Vancouver, WA 98661
Please note that it can take up to several months for reimbursement.
Here are some helpful links regarding VA-contracted urgent care facilities;
MISSION ACT - https://www.missionact.va.gov/
- From there, go down the web page and click on Find a VA location near you…
- From there, click on VA-approved urgent care locations and pharmacies near you.
- From there, go to the very bottom of the web page and select either...
- Fill an Urgent Care Prescription or Find a Network Urgent Care Location
VA Emergency Medication Refills
VA has established an Emergency Prescription Refill Program to assist enrolled Veterans who are out or almost out of medications.
Veterans can receive a 10-day supply of VA prescribed medication by:
- Going to any Big Chain Pharmacy.
- Bring your VA prescription, medication bottle/supply item (with VA RX label on it) showing available refills, and the last refill date within the last 90 days.
- Bring your VA ID Card and another form of identification like a driver’s license.
- Ask the pharmacist to call Heritage Health Solutions Customer Care Center at toll free 1-866-265- 0124, where a Customer Care Representative will qualify the request by asking a few questions.
No controlled drugs will be processed under this program. If a controlled drug is needed, you must contact your local VA facility Emergency Department.
For questions about this Emergency Prescription Program or help with another medication related question, please call the VA Pharmacy Call Center at the numbers below or the number on your prescription bottle or label.
The VA Pharmacy Call Centers and Heritage Health Solutions Customer Care Center (1-866-265-0124) can tell you if your preferred Pharmacy is participating in the Emergency Prescription Refill Program.
Primary Care Clinical Pharmacy Specialists
The pharmacist provider is a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist who works with the Primary Care team to:
- Manage your chronic medical issues by prescribing and adjusting medications.
- Review all of your medications for drug interactions and proper dosing.
- Answer medication related questions.
- Review and discuss lab results, allergies and medications.
- What you should bring with you to your appointment;
- Why you would be scheduled for a Primary Care pharmacist provider appoinment;
- What your Primary Care pharmacist provider can do during for you during an appoinment;
- How to contact your Primary Care Team.
Please visit My HealtheVet for information about any prescription you may be taking.
For questions about Pharmacy billing please call 1-866-290-4618, closed Federal holidays.
Pharmacy Administration Office
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., closeed Federal Holidays
All of the above services, except for the inpatient pharmacy, are closed on all Federal holidays.
The Portland VA is proud to serve as a training site for several Pharmacy Residents annually.
Page updated December 2, 2019
Portland Outpatient Pharmacy - Bldg 100, first floor
Vancouver Outpatient Pharmacy
Hours of Operation
Portland; 7:30-8 p.m. M, W, Thrs, F; 9- 8 p.m. Tues; 8-6 p.m. S/S, and 8-5 p.m. on holidays
Vancouver - see page for individual days and times