VA » Health Care » VA Portland Health Care System » Health Care Services » Pain Center, Center for Integrative Care
VA Portland Health Care System
Pain Center, Center for Integrative Care
Pain Center - CIPC
VA Pain Center-Center for Integrative Care (CIPC) at VAPORHCS is committed to providing the highest quality, innovative, multidisciplinary and evidence based advanced pain care to Veterans in chronic pain. We strive towards providing a comprehensive, biopsychosocial approach to pain management utilizing the Whole Health model of care delivery.
We strive to partner with our veterans in developing an individualized pain treatment plan that restores function and improves their physical, emotional and social well-being.
VA Pain Center - Center for Integrative Pain Care (CIPC) is a multidisciplinary clinic comprising of physicians of various specialties (Pain Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehab and Addiction Psychiatry), behavioral health specialists (psychologists and social worker), advanced practice nurse, pain RN, pain pharmacist, pain physical therapists and acupuncturist. The center falls under Operative Care Division-Anesthesiology Service.
Please ask your provider for a referral if you are interested in being evaluated by the Pain Center.
Functions of the multidisciplinary team include:
- Comprehensive evaluation of patients with various pain conditions.
- Pain consultation for patients on high doses of opioids. these patients receive a multidisciplinary evaluation with pain physician, addiction psychiatrist, pharmacist and psychologist. Suboxone treatment is provided if indicated. assistance is provided to the opioid prescribers if tapering of opioids is indicated. regular follow ups with the team are offered for these patients.
- Provide Veterans with various in-house and/or community-based resources for self-management of pain.
Other services offered include:
- Interventional Pain Procedures offered by physician specialists board certified in pain medicine
- Education for developing pain management skills are offered by the pain behavioral health specialists. These include chronic pain Education program, ACT-on-Pain Advanced Therapy group; Mindful Living with Chronic Pain Program; primary care and pain management groups; Pre-Surgery Group for Pain Management
- Chronic Pain Resource workshops for Veterans held quarterly
- Individual consults with behavioral health specialists including tele-behavioral health
- Acupuncture (in house as well as through Community Care)
- Physical therapy referrals to Pain Physical therapists
- Chiropractic care is available through Rehab Medicine
- Healing touch available through Caregiver Support program
EDUCATION:VA Pain Center (CIPC) collaborates with the Oregon Health & Science Universary (OHSU) Division of Pain Medicine. Each pain fellow spends three months at VAPORHCS Pain Center.
VA Pain Center (CIPC) also provides training opportunities for residents/fellows in other medical specialties and pharmacy students.
RESEARCH:Some members of VA Pain Center (CIPC) team are currently involved in a multi-center research trial (VOICE - Veteran’s pain Care Organizational Improvement Comparative Effectiveness Study)
- Portland VA Medical Center
- 502-220-8262 Ext. 55389
- 502-220-8262 Ext. 51177, 51132
Hours of Operation
- 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.