VA Portland Health Care System
VA Portland Health Care System (VAPORHCS) provides comprehensive dental services including, but not limited to: exams, Xrays, fillings, dentures and oral surgery to eligible Veterans.
See the Service Information section below for a list of routine dental practices performed at our facility.
Honor America’s Veterans by facilitating improvements in oral health that contributes to their general health and well-being.
• VA Dentistry will be the benchmark of excellence and value in oral health care by providing exemplary services that are both patient centered and evidence based.
• This care will be delivered by engaged, collaborative teams in an integrated environment that supports learning, discovery and continuous improvement.
• It will emphasize prevention of oral disease and population health and will provide state of the art treatment to eligible Veterans.
• VA Dentistry will contribute to the nation’s well-being through oral health education, research and service in national emergencies.
We consider the following to be our primary, collective values as we strive to accomplish our mission:
Hours of Operation
Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., excluding federal holidays
Urgent/Emergent Care for eligible Veterans:
During Business Hours: All requests for urgent dental care should be made by calling the Dental clinic first. We recommend calling in the morning. A dental staff member will take or return your call, typically within two hours. Staff will triage your condition and appoint as appropriate. Direct walk up to the dental clinic without an appointment is highly discouraged. Unscheduled walk ups may not be able to be accommodated the same day based on the clinical conditions.
Clinic telephone numbers
Portland: (503) 273-5024
Vancouver: (360) 619-5990 For general program information, call (503) 273-5024
Outside of Business Hours: Report to Emergency Department at PVAMC for emergent issues
Service Chief Albert Fu, DDS (503) 220-8262, ext. 34325
General Practice Residency Director Timothy Bishop, DDS (503) 220-8262, ext. 54384
Administrative Officer/Service Level Advocate
Types of Services
Dental benefits include a full range of services for eligible* Veterans.
Below are some of the many services offered by VA Dentistry:
• Regularly scheduled cleaning and x-rays.
• Restorative procedures such as fillings, crowns and bridges.
• Comfortable, well-fitting dentures. • Oral surgery such as tooth extractions.
• Access to oral and facial reconstruction surgery resulting from trauma or serious illness.
* Please refer to VHA Handbook 1130.01 or go to this VA website to view "What VA dental care benefits do I qualify for?"
Service Animal PolicyPer VHA Directive 1188, service animals are not permitted in areas where invasive procedures are being performed, including dental exam rooms, and other areas. VA staff cannot care for a Veteran’s animal so the handler or the alternate handler (e.g. family member) must be responsible for control of the service animal at all times. Veterans are encouraged to make proper arrangements prior to scheduled appointments. Click our Visitor Information page for complete information about Service Animals at our facilities.
Dental Residency Program
VAPORHCS offers a general practice residency in dentistry program approved by the American Dental Association and affiliated with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Go to the to the VAPORHCS Dental Residency page for more information about our program.
updated May 29, 2020
Portland, Bldg. 100, Floor 2
Vancouver, Bldg. 20, Floor 2
Hours of Operation
- 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.