VA Portland Health Care System
Healthy Weight Awareness Month - Week 3
Week 3 - Healthy Weight Awareness – Moving the Body
What is your reason for “Moving the Body”? To feel good? Improve sleep? Enjoyment?
According to the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines, there are many reasons to include regular physical activity in your day.
Benefits of regular physical activity include:
- Reduced weight gain - maintain a healthy weight
- Reduced risk of cancer (bladder, breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, stomach, and lung)
- Reduce risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Reduce risk of heart disease and stroke
- Reduced high blood pressure – even after one single bout of activity
- Improved insulin sensitivity and reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
- Improved mood - reduced depression and anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Better quality of life
- Reduced risk of falls
- Improvements in pain for those w/ osteoarthritis
How much physical activity is needed?
To achieve the health benefits listed above, the recommendations are at least 150 to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week. That would be about 30-60 minutes of activity 5 days per week.
What is moderate physical activity?
Examples of moderate physical activity include walking, biking, dancing, swimming, running, yard work – anything you enjoy and makes the heart beat fast.
Do I have to do 30-60 minutes at one time?
No, you can break up your physical activity throughout the day. For example:
- Walk around the block after breakfast (10 min)
- Do yardwork in the afternoon (10-15 min)
- Play with the kids/grandkids in the evening (10+ minutes)
- All those activities ADD UP!
Before beginning any physical activity program, talk to your primary care provider.
What activities are offered by Portland VA Healthcare System for Veterans?
- Check out these virtual classes taught by Active Movement Therapist.
Whole Health for Caregivers:
Check out this group designed to give Caregivers an opportunity to understand the Whole Health Wheel and how each component can influence health and wellbeing. Contact the Caregiver Support Program at (503) 273-5210 for more information or to register.
VA YouTube Channel Links for Move Your Body: