VA Portland Health Care System
Healthy Weight Awareness Month - Week 2
Week 2 - Healthy Weight Awareness – Food and Drink
As with most aspects of health, choosing the right food and drink depends a lot on you. You have your own likes and dislikes. Depending on where you live and how much money you have, you might have access to some foods and beverages but not others. You may eat a certain way based on your background or where you came from. What you eat also depends on who does the cooking and serving in your home.
To make changes to your food and drink start by asking yourself these questions:
1) Why should I eat healthier?
2) How does eating influence my overall health?
3) How does it help me reach my overall goals?
Often, when people talk about “diet” they think more about what they can’t eat and not about what they can eat. Try thinking about what foods you enjoy eating that you can choose more often to help you meet your goals. Try choosing more:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, at least five servings per day. Vary your colors to include the whole rainbow
- Nuts, seeds, and dried beans for protein
- Extra virgin olive oil over butter or lard
- Omega-3 fatty acid containing fish two to three times each week
- Whole grains instead of refined grains
- Spices and herbs in your diet instead of salt
- Water or unsweetened beverages more often
- ½ non starchy vegetables,
- ¼ starches,
- ¼ protein,
- ~1 serving of fruit per meal,
- add healthy fats, herbs and spices,
- and a healthy beverage (water, tea, coffee, or milk).
Check out the Fresh Focus Podcast by VA Dietitians: Healthy Plate Method – Keep it simple
"Focus on Your Plate" information. (PDF)
VA Portland Health Care System Veteran resources:
- Individual Dietary Planning with a Registered Dietitian: To make an appointment, call 503-273-5112
- Nutrition Classes - VA Portland Health Care System: To make an appointment, call 503-273-5112
- MOVE! Weight Management Program - VA Portland Health Care System: To make an appointment, call (503) 220-3482 or (800) 949-1004 ext. 53482
- Or send a MyHealtheVet Secure Message to: MOVE_Weight Management_Portland_HPDP
Whole Health for Caregivers:
Check out this group designed to give Caregivers an opportunity to understand the Whole Health Wheel and how each component can influence health and wellbeing. Contact the Caregiver Support Program at 503-273-5210 for more information or to register.