VA Portland Health Care System
RN Nurse Residency Program
Are you a new graduate registered nurse?
VA Portland Health Care System is a great place to begin your career.
We have two nurse residency programs for new graduate nurses;
- Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency (PBNR) and
- Transition-to-Practice (TTP)
Our nurse residency programs include didactic and precepted clinical experiences. These experiences are designed to provide the new graduate RN opportunities to effectively transition to competent professional nurses, with focus on developing effective decision-making skills, incorporating evidence into practice, supporting clinical leadership at point of care and promoting life-long learning and resilience in nursing practice. You will practice collaboratively in an interprofessional model and gain an integrated perspective of nursing leadership and the VA healthcare system.
Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program
Are you a new RN ready to take your knowledge and skills to the next level? As a nurse resident, your experience will cover multiple clinical settings at the VA Portland Health Care System. The year is like a fellowship – you will earn significant work experience, training and skill development opportunities that are not typically available to someone starting out in an entry-level nursing position.
Benefits of the Program:
• Valuable experience developing and growing your RN skills and knowledge alongside expert colleagues
• Annual stipend and benefits, no required night shift!
• Structured mentoring opportunities
• Enhance clinical and leadership skills in a variety of clinical settings
• Understand the continuum of care across the entire health care system
• Veteran-centered practice environment to Care for Those Who Have Served Us
Note: Nurse residents are considered trainees and there is no commitment for continued employment after the completion of the year-long program. After a successful residency, we do hope that you will find your calling to care for Veterans within the VA Portland Health Care System!
2020 Nursing Residency Application Packet *Applications due Monday, June 1, 2020, at 4 p.m.
2020 Program Flier
• Be a US citizen and a graduate of a BSN or MSN (entry level) program accredited by the CCNE or ACEN
• Be a licensed RN by August 24 for September program start OR
• Be a licensed RN for less than one-year post graduation from your nursing program and have no RN position work experience
• Commit to completing the one-year RN Residency Program
Questions? Please email Tyra.Haebe@va.gov
Transition-to-Practice (TTP) Program
Transition to Practice is for any new graduate nurse with less than 1-year of practice experience who is hired into a position within VA Portland Health Care System. All RNs with less than 1-year of nursing experience who are hired into any care setting are automatically a part of the TTP program.
The TTP program is a 12-month program with monthly workshop days, debriefing, an evidence based practice curriculum and more!
Benefits of the program:
• Structured mentoring and precepting experiences
• Networking with your colleagues
• Monthly workshop days
• Clinical debrief
• Evidence based practice curriculum, and more!
• Meet all required qualifications as per job posting (open positions found on USA Jobs)
• Open to BSN or ADN nurses, graduates of a program accredited by the CCNE or ACEN
• Less than 1-year of practice experience to qualify for TTP
TTP Program Brochure Flier
To apply for open RN positions, search on USA Jobs (usajobs.gov)