VA Portland Health Care System
Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Residency Program
To develop competent, confident, practice-ready Nurse Practitioners equipped with the knowledge and skills to address the specific needs of our nation's Veterans in the VHA or community.
The VA Portland Health Care System Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Residency Program is for newly graduated Nurse Practitioners who are interested in a rewarding career caring for our nation’s Veterans and their unique healthcare needs. The NP residency is a 12-month post-graduate, precepted training program within the Primary Care setting with a focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and the development of leadership skills within a dynamic and complex health care setting. Residents will manage a panel of patients alongside a dedicated NP preceptor. In addition to Primary Care, the program includes Specialty, Inpatient and Long-term Care rotations.
The resident will participate in activities including Journal Clubs, Grand Round lectures and Simulation practicums with other interdisciplinary team members. Residents will also complete an evidence-based, quality improvement project focused on the complex needs of the Veteran population.
- $80,000/year annual stipend
- Healthcare insurance including vision and dental coverage
- 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave bi-weekly
- 10 paid federal holidays
- No weekend or night shift duties
- Gateway to an exciting and rewarding career caring for our nation’s Veterans
- Graduated from an accredited master’s or Doctor of Nursing practice program within the past 12 months
- Board certification as an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care or Family Nurse Practitioner from AANP or ANCC accrediting bodies
- Oregon State APRN licensure
- DEA certification
- BLS certification
- US citizenship
- Applications are due June 15, 2020.
- The residency will occur from September 1, 2020 through September 1, 2021.
Please email Lakshi.Aldredge@va.gov or call (503) 273-5311