VA Portland Health Care System
Afghanistan Impact on Vets - There is Help
As we watch developments unfolding in Afghanistan, we realize that these proceedings may significantly affect Veterans who served in Afghanistan or Veterans who see parallels to the evacuation that occurred in Vietnam.
Those who have been diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder may find themselves experiencing an increase or recurrence of symptoms.
If you are a Veteran or know of a Veteran who is having a hard time, VA has a variety of resources and tools you can use or share:
- For emergency mental health care, you can go directly to your local VA medical center 24/7 regardless of your discharge status or enrollment in other VA health care.
- VHA mental health services, including how family members can assist a Veteran in crisis;
- Here is VA Portland's Mental Health web page with contact information
- Veterans Crisis Line: Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 press 1
- Finding local mental health services and resources: Resources | Videos & Info for Military Veterans | Make the Connection
- Information on how to access immediate care and/or book a mental health appointment: VA Mental Health Services | Veterans Affairs
- Vet Center resources are also available and include counseling, there is also a toll-free number: 877-WAR-VETS
- VA Women Veterans Call Center – Call or text: 855-829-6636
- Additional community resources are available here: Afghanistan: Let’s Talk About It
- VA Portland Chaplain Services is available for non-urgent spiritual and emotional support at (503) 220-8262, ext. 57090
Your VA Portland Healthcare System is also ready to serve and support those who are impacted by these events.
Please reach out to your primary care provider (503)-220-8262, option 2, who can make a referral, often the same day, to mental health services. Or you can call the new VA Portland Mental Health Patient Access Triage Line at (503) 220-8262, ext. 56409, Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., excluding holidays, to learn about mental health services offered at VA Portland and in our local community.